Rhinoviruses cause serious morbidity and mortality as the major etiological agents of asthma exacerbations and the common cold. A major obstacle to understanding disease pathogenesis and to the development of effective therapies has been the lack of a small-animal model for rhinovirus infection. Of the 100 known rhinovirus serotypes, 90% (the major group) use human intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) as their cellular receptor and do not bind mouse ICAM-1; the remaining 10% (the minor group) use a member of the low-density lipoprotein receptor family and can bind the mouse counterpart. Here we describe three novel mouse models of rhinovirus infection: minor-group rhinovirus infection of BALB/c mice, major-group rhinovirus infection of transgenic BALB/c mice expressing a mouse-human ICAM-1 chimera and rhinovirus-induced exacerbation of allergic airway inflammation. These models have features similar to those observed in rhinovirus infection in humans, including augmentation of allergic airway inflammation, and will be useful in the development of future therapies for colds and asthma exacerbations.
Mouse models of rhinovirus-induced disease and exacerbation of allergic airway inflammation / Bartlett, Nw; Walton, Rp; Edwards, Mr; Aniscenko, J; Caramori, Gaetano; Zhu, J; Glanville, N; Choy, Kj; Jourdan, P; Burnet, J; Tuthill, Tj; Pedrick, Ms; Hurle, Mj; Plumpton, C; Sharp, Na; Bussell, Jn; Swallow, Dm; Schwarze, J; Guy, B; Almond, Jw; Jeffery, Pk; Lloyd, Cm; Papi, A; Killington, Ra; Rowlands, Dj; Blair, Ed; Clarke, Nj; Johnston, S. L.. - In: NATURE MEDICINE. - ISSN 1078-8956. - 14:2(2008), pp. 199-204.