OBJECTIVE: To report the removal of an ingested clam shell that was firmly impacted in the esophagus. CLINICAL PRESENTATION AND INTERVENTION: A 77-year-old man presented at our hospital with acute dysphagia after eating a seafood risotto. An urgent dedicated examination (noncontrast helical multislice computed tomography scan of the neck and flexible esophagoscopy) detected a clam shell lodged in the upper esophagus. After several unsuccessful endoscopic attempts, a lifesaving cervical esophagotomy was performed and the foreign body was retrieved. CONCLUSION: This patient who ingested clam shell recovered well following the retrieval of the foreign body by performing a lifesaving cervical esophagotomy.
Cervical esophagotomy for removal of an ingested clam shell: a very uncommon foreign body ingestion / Virgilio, Edoardo; Giuliani, Diletta; Nigro, Alice; Gasparrini, Marcello; Balducci, Genoveffa. - In: MEDICAL PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE. - ISSN 1423-0151. - 26:4(2017), pp. 390-392. [10.1159/000477403]
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo su rivista|