INTRODUCTION: Acute diverticulitis with colon perforation is a serious condition in transplant recipients. The aim of this study was to analyze our experience with colon perforations among 875 renal transplant recipients between January 1986 and September 2004. METHODS: Patients were analyzed by age, gender, steroid dosage, time interval from the transplantation, delay between symptoms and surgery, clinical presentation, surgical procedure, graft and patient outcomes. RESULTS: We identified 8 patients with colon perforation. The incidence of perforation was 0.9%. Mean age at the the time of perforation was 58.5 years. Fever, abdominal pain, localized or diffuse signs of peritonitis, and leukocytosis were present in 7 patients (87.5%). Three patients (37.5%) were on steroid-free immunosuppression, whereas in 2 cases (25%) the steroid dosage was >20 mg/d. The mean interval between transplantation and perforation was 4.1 years. Two episodes (25%) occurred within 1 month following transplantation and the other 6 (75%) between 1 and 15 years. The interval between the onset of symptoms and surgery was longer than 48 hours in 1 patient (12.5%). In 5 cases (62.5%), a Hartmann procedure was performed; in 2 patients (25%), a resection with primary anastomosis was preferred. The last patient had a direct suture of the colon. Mortality rate was 12.5%. At a median follow-up of 6.1 years, 6 patients (75%) are alive with 5 functioning grafts. CONCLUSIONS: Colon perforations in renal transplant recipients remain a challenging surgical problem. An aggressive diagnostic attitude and an immediate surgical treatment may contribute to significantly decrease the incidence and the mortality of this complication

ACUTE DIVERTICULITIS WITH COLON PERFORATION IN RENAL TRANSPLANTATION / DALLA VALLE R.; E CAPOCASALE; MP MAZZONI; N BUSI; L BENOZZI; R SIVELLI; M SIANESI. - In: TRANSPLANTATION PROCEEDINGS. - ISSN 0041-1345. - 37(2005), pp. 2507-2510. [10.1016/j.transproceed.2005.06.059]

ACUTE DIVERTICULITIS WITH COLON PERFORATION IN RENAL TRANSPLANTATION

DALLA VALLE, Raffaele;SIVELLI, Roberto;SIANESI, Mario
2005

Abstract

INTRODUCTION: Acute diverticulitis with colon perforation is a serious condition in transplant recipients. The aim of this study was to analyze our experience with colon perforations among 875 renal transplant recipients between January 1986 and September 2004. METHODS: Patients were analyzed by age, gender, steroid dosage, time interval from the transplantation, delay between symptoms and surgery, clinical presentation, surgical procedure, graft and patient outcomes. RESULTS: We identified 8 patients with colon perforation. The incidence of perforation was 0.9%. Mean age at the the time of perforation was 58.5 years. Fever, abdominal pain, localized or diffuse signs of peritonitis, and leukocytosis were present in 7 patients (87.5%). Three patients (37.5%) were on steroid-free immunosuppression, whereas in 2 cases (25%) the steroid dosage was >20 mg/d. The mean interval between transplantation and perforation was 4.1 years. Two episodes (25%) occurred within 1 month following transplantation and the other 6 (75%) between 1 and 15 years. The interval between the onset of symptoms and surgery was longer than 48 hours in 1 patient (12.5%). In 5 cases (62.5%), a Hartmann procedure was performed; in 2 patients (25%), a resection with primary anastomosis was preferred. The last patient had a direct suture of the colon. Mortality rate was 12.5%. At a median follow-up of 6.1 years, 6 patients (75%) are alive with 5 functioning grafts. CONCLUSIONS: Colon perforations in renal transplant recipients remain a challenging surgical problem. An aggressive diagnostic attitude and an immediate surgical treatment may contribute to significantly decrease the incidence and the mortality of this complication
ACUTE DIVERTICULITIS WITH COLON PERFORATION IN RENAL TRANSPLANTATION / DALLA VALLE R.; E CAPOCASALE; MP MAZZONI; N BUSI; L BENOZZI; R SIVELLI; M SIANESI. - In: TRANSPLANTATION PROCEEDINGS. - ISSN 0041-1345. - 37(2005), pp. 2507-2510. [10.1016/j.transproceed.2005.06.059]
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
DallaValle-1.pdf

non disponibili

Tipologia: Altro materiale allegato
Licenza: NON PUBBLICO - Accesso privato/ristretto
Dimensione 66.24 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
66.24 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11381/1444828
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 36
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 32
social impact